Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Pre-Preschool Plan

I have been looking to implement more Scripture and intentional learning times into our day without doing "school" since my kids are only one and two. So far, I've come up with a basic structure that goes something like this:

After chores: Bible story and art (drawing, craft, or art book)
During lunch: Bible memory
Before naps: Storytime
During snack: Listen to classical music

And of course we're reading, counting, and discussing things all day long. For storytime I am trying to be more intentional about bringing home at least one high quality (award winning) children's book from the library each week instead of just grabbing whatever I can reach. The classical music has been a big hit; we listened to Bach all through the month of March and Isaac would ask for it over and over.

Here's what the month of April's Pre-preschool plan looks like for us:

Composer:
Mozart

Painter:
Monet

Bible Memory:
Hebrews 11:1
Proverbs 16:3

Bible Reading:
Genesis 2 – 5

Art Projects:
Painting with Yarn
Painting egg cartons
Magazine chain
Salt dough creations
Printing with Cookie Cutters
Peanut Butter Playdough
Straws
Seed planting

Books:
The Rainbow Fish – Marcus Pfister
The Snowy Day – Ezra Jack Keats
First the Egg - Laura Vaccaro Seeger
Ella Sarah Gets Dressed - Margaret Chodos-Irvine

Remember to check out http://rocksinmydryer.typepad.com for more great tips!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I like your ideas. Thanks for sharing! It is great encouragement to keep being intentional with what you are teaching your kids!

Anonymous said...

This post was such an encouragement to me. I often feel it is impossible to have any structure with two kids two and under. Thank you for sharing your ideas!

Diana K. said...

I know this is an old post but I read it awhile ago and never left a comment.

I love Bach too!! Isaac and I would get along well :-)