Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Toddler in a Funk



Today is backwards "Works for Me Wednesday" at Rocks in My Dryer, so that means I get to ask YOU a question!

My dilemma is this: Isaac is often a pleasant, helpful affectionate little boy. Other days, he is a whiny, resistant, defiant child. This behavior is not usually linked to one specific event. He just wakes up each day in one mood or the other. My question is: how do you deal with a child who is not being openly rebellious (meriting discipline) but is just no fun to be around?

I've tried cuddling, distraction, sending him to his bed to change his attitude, praying with him, disciplining him, and feeding him. Nothing seems to work. Actually, some methods work for about five minutes before he's back in his funk. The only cure seems to be "waking up on the RIGHT side of the bed". Any thoughts?

5 comments:

Jeni said...

I haven't had to deal with this yet - I guess my girlie hasn't gotten to this stage. But my Mom says that when I had times like that, she'd make me lie down for a little while. Inevitably I would fall asleep for a few minutes, and would wake with a much better attitude.

Kristin said...

Oh my...I am in the same boat (see my post for WFMW at Centsable Baby it's backdated to Dec.). My son is passionate and every bit like me but has yet learned that he can control how he feels about something! I try to be sure he has adequate freedom and run around time each day. We went to a local mall that has a great play area today and that seemed to help. Yesterday we were just at odds all day long! It's SOOOO frustrating and there are days where I just feel like I can't do anything else! I don't know what to say except that I pray each night for strenght and patience and start over again - hoping that this will pass when he is better equipped to deal with his emotions and channel that passionate energy more intentionally.

Laane said...

He's under 2?

It's worth to try and find out why he is so moody at times.
Is there a pattern?
Only mondays, for instance, or after eating certain things.
Some children need a routine when they go to bed, and when the routine is broken they're moody the next day.

One of my boys had a pretty terrible way of beginning his day.

So when he had a good mood, I made a sun at the calendar and we did something together he liked, like feeding the ducks.

It helped.
Hope it helps you too!

You can find my "works for me" at:

Laane on the World

Have a great day!!!

The (Almost) Amazing Mammarino said...

Is he getting enough sleep? My toddler (and her older siblings as well) are exactly this way if they haven't slept well or got into bed too late the night before.

Megret said...

I, too, would check to make sure he's getting the most sleep possible for his age. I have a 3-1/2 year old son who does get whiny when he has had less than 11 hours of sleep (he doesn't nap). Some days, though, he just wakes up in a foul mood, and I try to remember that some days I do, too. :0) I agree; quiet time play in their rooms works sometimes, as does outside running around to get out pent up energy. That's why I can't wait for spring to get here for real!