Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Kids and Family Portraits


I find it is easier to have a plan for dealing with certain things rather than trying to remember to make them happen someday. One of these things is kids and family portraits. I don't want to wake up in ten years thinking, "It's been such a long time since we've gotten a photo of our whole family!" We also have lots of long distance family members and I know they like to get pictures of the kids, but unless I plan for it to happen, nothing gets sent!

We do a family picture in December to send out with our Christmas letter. Then in June we do individual "school picture" type photos of the kids to send to family. That way the great grandparents, aunties and everyone gets a new photo every six months. I also have frames for each photo hanging in our home and whenever we get a new one, I just replace and file the old picture. I just buy the cheap package portrait deals at Wal-Mart. It just takes lots of self control to avoid all the expensive extras!

I've decided to spend a little more for portraits taken at one month old, one year old, and - when the kids are older - senior pictures. Having a plan in place ensures that all my children have equal treatment. I didn't want my oldest to have tons of photos and never get around to pictures of the younger kids.

4 comments:

We are THAT Family said...

This is one of the things I feel the most guilty about. Months slip by and I realize my baby has changed so much, so I'm on a mission to capture the moment! Thanks.

Meshellyn said...

I'm the momma to a single 9 month old. From the beginning we've gotten monthly pictures and I worry that with the next one or two I won't be able to do as well. Once they get older I think it's great to do the twice a year plan, and you definitely have to hold strong to not buy more than you intended!!!

slovakiasteph said...

You are sooo organized... One way you and Di are more alike and we aren't. :P

Mrs. Troop said...

Good luck with that as your family grows!
We have stuck with the 6 months baby photo, and then yearly after that. It's hard to keep up!